At the conclusion of the highly successful 14th WORLD FREE ZONE CONVENTION we should like to take this opportunity to thank all our speakers and delegates for their active participation in our debates and analyses of issues affecting Zones globally.
In particular our thanks go to Mr. Winichai Chaemchaeng, Vice Minister for Commerce and Mr. Verasak Supprasert, Deputy Director General of the Ministry of Industry, Economics Department of the Government of Thailand, and H.E. Pan Sorasak, Secretary of State, Ministry of Commerce, Cambodia. The region was well represented with participants from Malaysia, Singapore, China, Myanmar, India and Sri Lanka.
The IPAWorld Website Awards were presented during the River Cruise - congratulations to the Winners and Runners Up!
Bangkok was particularly welcoming and we should all like to thank our Media Partners (Site Selection/Conway, FDI Intelligence, Invest In and Oxford Intelligence). Our Supporting Partner Organisations made it all happen: Tractus-Asia, WCA and Development Services International Ltd. We look forward to meeting you at the next World Free Zone Convention event.
14th World Free Zone Convention
27th February - 1st March 2016
with the support of
Optional Pre-Conference Training Programme — 27th and 28th February 2016
TWO-DAY INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE & EXHIBITION — 29th February - 1st March 2016
ENGAGING WITH FREE AND SPECIAL ECONOMIC ZONES - PRACTICAL STEPS TO GLOBAL REACH
WORLD FREE ZONE CONVENTION WEBSITE AWARDS 2016
2016 WINNERS Category ONE !
2016 WINNERS Category TWO !
Economic Zones & Smart Cities: Cutting Edge Approaches to Sustainable Planning, Development, and Implementation - Summit
This exceptional event was held in Washington, D.C. on the 10th/11th September 2015
World Free Zone Convention (WFZC) visited Washington, D.C. as part of its ongoing outreach to international institutions, to share knowledge and practical experiences with the World Bank and other leading organisations. The conference was sponsored by Deloitte Advisory.
"WFZC has worked with the World Trade Organisation, the World Customs Organisation, and other global groups so it is a particular pleasure for us to be holding this event in Washington, D.C. which is such an international city," said Graham Mather, Chairman of the WFZC, based in London. "With Deloitte Advisory as our convention sponsor, we facilitated a first-class meeting at the cutting edge of technology, creativity, and competitiveness."
The conference featured speakers and panelists from global institutions, leading industries, and academia from around the world. Participating organisations included the World Bank Group, Deloitte, DMCC Free Zone Dubai, FedEx, Cisco Systems, Gensler, Yale University, and Georgetown University. The programme focussed on current state of zone/city development through discussions with delegates from the Gulf States, Middle East, Africa, Southeast Asia, and South America.
Day One included panel discussions in the morning followed by an afternoon visit to the Dulles/IT Corridor (Loudoun County, Virginia) where delegates had the opportunity to see first-hand development impacts at the regional level. WFZC would like to extend its warm thanks to the Loudoun team. On Day Two discussions continued at the Waterview Conference Centre (Arlington, VA). Panel topics included:
- Smart Cities and New Urban Environments: State of Play - Keynote
- Transport/Logistics oriented City/Zone Development
- Economic Zones: Future Directions
- Technology/ICT oriented "City"/Zone Development
- Market and Finance/Demand and Innovative Financing
- Green Cities and Green Economic Zones (helping investors achieve their sustainability objectives/environment, social impact, governance, and resilience)
What is being said about smart cities and economic zones:
"Any country that didn't have a Special Economic Zone 10 years ago either does now or seems to be planning one." - World Bank Senior Economist Thomas Farole on growth of free-trade zones
"The ultimate goal of a Smart City is transformational: to achieve enhanced quality of life for citizens and deliver tangible benefits at national, provincial, and municipal levels while leveraging natural resources judiciously." - Deloitte report: "Africa is ready to leapfrog the competition Through Smart Cities Technology"
About Deloitte Advisory
Deloitte Advisory helps organizations turn critical and complex business issues into opportunities for growth, resilience and long-term advantage. Our market-leading teams help our clients manage strategic, financial, operational, technological, and regulatory risk to maximize enterprise value, while our experience in mergers and acquisitions, fraud, litigation, and reorganizations helps clients move forward with confidence.
As used in this document, "Deloitte Advisory" means Deloitte & Touche LLP, which provides audit and enterprise risk services; Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLP, which provides forensic, dispute, and other consulting services; and its affiliate, Deloitte Transactions and Business Analytics LLP, which provides a wide range of advisory and analytics services. Deloitte Transactions and Business Analytics LLP is not a certified public accounting firm. These entities are separate subsidiaries of Deloitte LLP. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.
At WFZC we monitor the increasing number of Special Economic
Zones around the world. More than 120 countries
now have some form of zone development programme. We liaise closely with international organisations whose work impacts upon Zones
Speakers and Delegates who have participated in our meetings represent a wide cross-section of organisations from almost all these countries, and from others considering their establishment - Zones and the Authorities who regulate them, Government Ministries, Investment Promotion Agencies, Corporates and Location Specialists as well as Investors, Banks and other Financial Advisers.
Since 2001 WFZC has built up an unparalleled network of partners, sponsors and speakers who have contributed to events held in London, Brussels, Skopje, Cairo, Cape Town, Cannes, Izmir, Geneva, Paris, Kuala Lumpur, Charleston, Hyderabad, India, The Netherlands, Dublin, Ras Al Khaimah, Poland, China, Dubai and Trieste. See our History pages for reviews of the
events and our Library pages for a review of presentations which have been made.
NEWS about ZONES and INVESTMENT
News Services from our partners - Click the links to open a window
- IPA World News, leads and investor profiles on international company investment moves
Recent Events :
Corporate Taxation, Transfer Pricing and FDI Incentives
Two day intensive seminar for zone authorities and operators, IPAs, development boards and investors
WFZC Training & Development 2013
HOW ZONES CAN SUCCEED IN GLOBAL LOGISTICS AND THE SUPPLY CHAIN
ACHIEVING EXCELLENCE IN INVESTOR ATTRACTION - THE ROLE OF BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE AND INCENTIVES
Speakers from Investment Consulting Associates (ICA), Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Location : Johannesburg, South Africa
Dates : 16th and 17th May 2013
Highlights since 2001
- WTO Director General and EU Negotiator on WFZC platforms in 2001-2003
- IPAWorld supports Free Zone Website Awards (2002 - present)
- Foreign Direct Investment magazine becomes media partner (2002)
- Partnership with CEI / EBRD at Skopje governmental conference
- Report "Challenges, Threats and Opportunities for the world's Free Zones" presented at the Brussels Convention (2003)
and visit to European Parliament and other European Union institutions
- Daily News from Oxford Intelligence launched on WFZC website
- Special analysis of International Law on Incentives, Benefits, Competition and State Aids in London 2003
- Courses and Training Division established
- WFZC becomes World Bank FDI Xchange partner (2004)
- Post Conference visit to Free Zones in Cairo, Egypt
- WFZC supports WAIPA (World Association of Investment Promotion Agencies) meetings from 2004
- WFZC infrastructure seminar at MIPIM international property exhibition in Cannes (2005/06)
- First WFZC meeting held in a Free Zone (Aegean Free Zone, Izmir) with Ministerial Round Table, resulting in Conference Declaration
and Financial Times publishes full page article on Free Zones (2005)
- WFZC assists with the launch of Pan African Free Zone Association at 5th Convention in London
- Site Selection magazine from the US becomes new media partner (2006)
- World Customs Organisation & WFZC sign joint Declaration at Geneva Briefing & Forum (2006)
- AFZA (Africa Free Zones Association) Memorandum of agreement signed at 6th Convention in Paris (2006)
- 2nd Joint Briefing with WCO held in their Headquarters Building in Brussels (2007) with a contribution from the China Free Trade Zone and Export Processing Zones Association
- 7th Annual Convention held in Asia (Kuala Lumpur) in November 2007 with Site Selection as new media partner
- REIDIN.com property and infrastructure information provider becomes new partner 2008
- Monthly WFZC Zones Activity Report launched in February 2008
- Port Master Planning 3 Day Training Course held in The Netherlands (June 2008)
- 8th Convention held in Charleston, South Carolina, USA in December 2008
- Supply Chain Management Master Planning 2 1/2 Day Course held in The Netherlands (March 2009 and April 2010)
- 9th Annual Convention held in Hyderabad, India (December 2009)
- Infrastructure & Real Estate Investment Planning And Management For Zones And Industrial/technology Parks 3 Day training programme & study tour Dublin and Shannon Ireland (July 2010)
- 10th Anniversary Convention held in Ras Al Khaimah, UAE ( November 2010) and Appointment of WFZC Ambassadors
- Port Master Planning & Special Economic and Industrial Zones in co-operation with DHV Group and the Port of Rotterdam Amsterdam (April 2011)
- Training Course + Study Tour to Katovice and Lodz, Poland ( June 2011)
- 11th Convention held in Pudong, Shanghai, China with joint communiqué in November 2011
- 2 1/2 Day Training Course + Visit to World Customs Organisation HQ in Brussels ( March 2012)
- 2 Day Workshop in Dubai, UAE ( June 2012)
- 2 day Conference in collaboration with the Port Authority of Trieste, Italy (July 2012)
- Training Workshop with a visit to WTO Headquarters in Geneva (October 2012)
- 12th Convention held in London, UK with joint declaration in December 2012
- WFZC Training & Development 2013 in Sandton, South Africa (May 2013)
- 2 day Conference in collaboration with the Port Authority of Gioia Tauro, Italy (June 2013)
- 13th Convention held in Izmir, Turkey in December 2013
- 2 day intensive seminar: Corporate Taxation, Transfer Pricing and FDI Incentives with IBFD in Amsterdam (June 2014)
- 2 day Summit with field trip to Loudoun County, Virginia: ECONOMIC ZONES, SMART CITIES, AND NEW URBAN ENVIRONMENTS - CUTTING EDGE APPROACHES TO SUSTAINABLE PLANNING, DEVELOPMENT & IMPLEMENTATION with the World Bank and Deloitte Advisory in Washington, DC (September 2015)